We start the Tangier City Tour and make a first visit to the gardens of Villa Harris, in Malabata. The beautiful white residence of The times correspondent William B. Harris has been converted into a museum after the pandemic and houses, among others, beautiful orientalist paintings. From the Malabata breakwater, if you want, you can see the white mountain of the medina and the entire Corniche and Tangerine beach.
Cape Spartel and Caves of Hercules
Then with the vehicle we go to the Cape Espartel lighthouse. It is the oldest in Morocco and the best known Tangier postcard. It illuminates the strait at the junction of two oceans, as the Mediterranean and the Atlantic meet at this point. Along with the Malabata lighthouse, it flanks the Bay of Tangier.
The views of the cliffs and Sol and Achakkar beaches, which we find later, are very beautiful. In this area you can walk with dromedaries or take some photos with them. The road leads to the Hercules Caves, whose silhouette to the sea is the most representative image of Tangier and marked the entrance for centuries to the African continent.
After the visit, we come back our path and pass through the beautiful Perdicaris Park which, at the beginning of the 20th century, was the residence of the Perdicaris couple. The place became famous for the kidnapping carried out by a pirate sultan, which almost led to a serious international incident. In fact, there is a Sean Connery movie inspired by it.
We dreive around royal palaces and a residential area until the neighborhood of Marshan, in the square of the imposing royal palace. There, we approach one of the few vestiges that remain of the Phoenician and Roman past of Tangier city. It is the small enclave of Phoenician tombs carved into a rock that is also a popular viewpoint of the Strait of Gibraltar. If you wish, you can have a cup of tea at the legendary Hafa cafe, which is very close. Like the people of Tangier, in both places you will see time pass by looking at the freighters and ships that cross the waters between Tarifa and our metropolis.
Walking tour of the kasbah and medina
From this point high above old Tangier, you cross the wall that surrounds the Kasbah. The Tangier city walking tour goes through the alleys of the newly renovated kasbah. You can go with a guide or on your own, ask us for it. On your walk, don't miss the beautiful entrance of the kasbah mosque and the square of the kasbah of Tangier.
To learn more about Tangier's Mediterranean past, you can visit the interesting Museum of the Kasbah in the old sultan's palace. It houses numerous archaeological remains and antiquities from the area, and also allows you to get an idea of what life was like in the palace.
Then, have fun strolling through the medina following the marked itineraries or on a guided tour. One of them leads to the tomb of Ibn Battuta. He was a traveler as or more important than Marco Polo, who traveled half the world during the Middle Ages. The place is more symbolic than beautiful, but it serves as an excuse to stroll through the medina of Tangier.
Streets lined with shops lead you to the Place du Petit Socco, where you can have a coffee and rest in one of its iconic terraces.
If there's time, before or after lunch, you visit the American Delegation, the food market on the doorstep from the old large souk converted into the "Place 9 d'Avril", the Mendoubia gardens and the historic café Paris.
We wait for you with the car where we agree to finish the Tangier tour in one day and make the transfer to the airport, port or hotel .
End of our services.
What includes this Tangier city tour:
- Personalized private excursion only for your group.
- Price includes private transport (with wifi and air conditioning) in one day trip in Tangier.
- Professional local driver who speaks customer's language (English, Spanish, French, Italian, Swedish, among others).
- Points and schedule of collection and arrival in Tangier to be agreed. We wait for you at the arrival of the ferry to Tangier from Tarifa and Algeciras (port Tanger Ville). Supplement to consult for arrivals at TangerMed.
What is not include in this Tangier city tour:
- Meals, drinks, or entrance tickets to museums or other activities.
-Does not include fee for local guide (to consult).
- If you want to do this and other excursions from Tangier as a single trip, ask us for the Northern Star tour.
- This itinerary is subject to modifications depending on the start and arrival time, or weather or other force majeure imperatives.
We take health and safety measures according to legislation of Morocco.
- Degree of occupation and disinfection of vehicles.
- Sanitizing hand gel available for travelers and staff.
- Mandatory use of mask in car and public areas.
- Frequent hand washing is mandatory.
- Safety distance 1.5 m with your interlocutor.
- Stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms.